Sunday 20 November 2011

How big is your machine?

That's a question that many Longarm Quilter's get asked....I think what's meant is 'what is the biggest quilt you can quilt on your longarm?'
Well, the frame on which my longarm machine glides has 12 ft rails so that means that one side of the quilt could comfortably be up to 130 inches (maybe slightly bigger), but the other measurement can be longer as the quilt is wound on the rails as you advance.....I don't know who would want a quilt bigger than 130" x 130".....but it could be done!


But today's more relevant question is 'how many quilts can you quilt on your longarm....lol...?

Answer for today is 'Eleven!'



Well...that's five on the first row....(the tops of two pillow shams, the tops of two cushions and a cushion back at this end).



And that's another six on the second row.....(two Christmas wallhangings, two Christmas table mats, a cushion top and another white cushion back at the far end). Of course if my piece of backing fabric had been a little bit bigger, I could have also quilted another cushion back to finish off .....maybe next time!

I'm having a bit of a tidy up using up some orphan blocks that you may recognise and finishing up some small projects, some of which belong to my GKids.  These small quilts are all loaded on the same cream backing fabric although I am using some smaller offcuts of batting that have been lying around waiting for just the right project.

It takes a while to load all of those little quilts but it would have taken alot longer if they were all on seperate backings.


9 comments:

  1. I love doing that when customers bring in several smaller items. They don't always understand why I ask for one huge backing... until they get them back ready to cut apart like paper dolls. You must feel good to get that many things off the "to do" list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I have had my quilting frame and semi-industrial machine for three weeks and am just learning the basics! That is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay, I was feeling so guilt free about not making any Christmas-y gifts or decorations until i saw this! Darn it. I am going tp try to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never even thought about that! I'll have to pass this along to my friend who just got a mid-arm machine. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. How clever - it never occurred to me that you could fit lots of small things on the machine at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kay,

    Well the largest request I have had in 18 months is 100 x 124 - but you never know, if someone wants a pillow tuck and has a high bed and wants the quilt to the floor all around, it would soon add up to 130 !

    Your pillows and cushions look great, especially the white one for you cushion back.

    Janette

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! that way one can't get bored quilting just one item! awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Talk about multi tasking, it's what we women excel in.. lol What a great way to use up all of those off cuts of wadding..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad I found this!! I just got my LA and I have two small baby quilts and wondered if I could do more than one! Thanks!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thanks for dropping by, I appreciate your visit and comments.....