I soaked my fabric in Soda Ash solution for 2/3 hours and gathered some snow but left it outside ready....my fabric measures approximately 1 1/2 yards in each tray.
I got my dye solutions ready, in the first tray I used:
1 tsp Purple, 1 tsp sodium sulphate, 1 cup water
1 tsp Wine, 1 tsp sodium sulphate, 1 cup water
And in the second tray I used:
1 tsp Chestnut, 1 tsp sodium sulphate, 1 cup water
1 tsp Ultramarine, 1 tsp sodium sulphate, 1 cup water
I piled the snow on top of the fabrics and added the dyes... they looked good enough to eat!
That's when I left and went to bed....here's what it looked like in the morning...at this point I brought the trays into my warm kitchen to help warm the fabrics and set the dye.
Around lunchtime I rinsed the fabric until the water ran clear, then added detergent and very hot water and left the fabrics to soak out any unspent dye, Mid afternoon I popped the faric into the washing machine with a little synthrapol.....
Love these Raspbery and Magenta ice crystals!
I didn't exactly expect the Chesnut and Ultramarine to turn out so light but there are some very interesting textures there so I'm please with the results. My snow was a little heavy and wet, maybe one day I'll get to try out some of that light dry snow like Kathy gets in Northern Manitoba!