Wednesday 8 May 2013

Oxnam Quilt Show 2013


Over the May Day Holiday weekend the Ladies of the Oxnam Quilt Group held there quilt show in Oxnam Village Hall, it's a lovely little hall out in the country on the edge of the Cheviot Hills.....

Oxnam Quilt Show 2013

The Oxnam quilt group consists of around 20 ladies led by the group leader Kathy. What a wealth of talent in quilting (and baking in the little tea room), a very interesting show.

The centre of the hall was set up with a frame that made little rooms, it was enchanting, take a look....

Lovely room display


Lovely Cushion Display
Lovely Cushion Display

Vintage room display

This was a fabulous vintage display of old quilts, boxes and bloomers and a Singer 28 from the early 1900's, from the position of the bobbin winder I'd say between 1900-1910....(should have looked at the serial number but didn't).  Right there at the front is a wonderful toy sewing machine in perfect condition......

Vintage Quilts



Child Sewing Machine

The cards says C1920, isn't it great?


Red Hat Society

This was the sign above one of the 'rooms'.....


Purple and Lavender with Red Hats

The Red Hat Society display

Red Hat Society

Warning
When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple. 
Oxnam Show quilts 2013


Oxnam Show 2013

I reconise this one


Soft and gentle colours


Great Danes



Oxnam Show Raffle Quilt

Some lucky winner will win the quilt on the right made by Kathy and the group as a raffle prize.

It was a lovely afternoon. Well Done Ladies!


Recent Finishes

Before disappearing to Uttoxeter I finished quilting my deadline customer quilts.....a couple of which were for the above show at Oxnam.....I didn't want to hogg the above post, so here they are...

Annette personalized this lovely quilt from the book 'Quilting Cats and Dogs' by Lynette Anderson. Annette's Daughter keeps Great Danes so the blocks were redrafted to suit, isn't it fabulous.  It's lightly custom quilted....I outline quilted all of the blocks and applique with invisible thread, then did continuous curves with swirls in the stars and an iron fence treatment behind the dogs in Metro thread....

Great Danes 2



Great Danes 3



Great Danes 1



Great Danes 5

Great Danes 4

Isn't it fabulous, those Great Danes look so proud!


Sandra made a wonderful quilt for her Daughter......what perfect points, so precise.....

Sandra's perfect points


Sandra chose 'Happy Times' panto which looks great on this quilt...we chose a light silver grey Metro thread top and bobbin.....

Sandra's perfect points 3



Sandra's perfect points 4



Sandra's perfect points 5


The fabrics are mostly William Morris by Moda.....this is a substantial quilt....quality fabrics!



3 comments:

  1. The quilt show looks like a lot of fun. The two customer quilts are lovely; my WM would love that Great Dane quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the lovely quilt show. I have not seen the full poem about the Red Hat Society. I love your recent finishes, too. Thank you Kay!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thanks for dropping by, I appreciate your visit and comments.....