Saturday 20 April 2013

Dragonfly Party 2 AKA The Colorado Quilt.....

So, it's time for the big reveal of Lynette's Dragonfly Party 2. This is a special quilt to Lynette, it's one of two twin quilts, I'm sure in due course that Lynette will explain the sentimental value of this pair of quilts to you herself.

I felt honoured that Lynette would think to send this quilt top from Colorado to Scotland for me to quilt it for her. I hope I have done the quilt justice and that the quilting comes up to Lynette's expectations.

The twin of this quilt has been quilted in the USA by Judi Madsen AKA 'The Green Fairy' ..... so I have a lot to live up to in that respect!

This top has been patiently waiting in line since January, it arrived like this....






Dragonfly Party 2/1

All freemotion hand guided and ruler work quilted on my APQS Millennium longarm quilting machine.

First off I have to say it was a pleasure to quilt such a beautifully pieced quilt....just look at those 1/4 inch sashings, they were perfect and I felt duty bound to keep them that way so stitched in the ditch either side with Superior Monolon Thread..sorry not shown in the photo but definitely used....I chose trilobal polyester threads from Filtec Glide, Metro and Isacord to match the fabrics on the top of the quilt with a golden yellow for the background and a creamy So Fine in the bobbin on all of the backing fabric.

Dragonfly Party 2/3

I used a variety of rulers, I've no affiliation to any one company I use what I like and what is suitable for the job in hand, it's important to find rulers that fit in your hand comfortably when there is as much ruler work as in this quilt. I used Deloa's Castle ruler for the straight lines, Renae's 12" arc for the curves in the large blocks, A curved ruler from Accents in Design for the continuous curves in the pieced blocks and 2 circle rulers to draw guides for the feathered wreaths....I used a purple marker to place dots where necessary as guides for the quilting designs.

Dragonfly Party 2/8




But come on in and see it for yourself....

Dragonfly Party 2/2


Lynette requested a double batting of wool over cotton which always gives great definition to the quilting.... so lets just carry on with a few photos of the quilt shown on a twin bed...

Dragonfly Party 2/10


Dragonfly Party 2/16


Dragonfly Party 2/15


Dragonfly Party 2/13


Dragonfly Party 2/12


Dragonfly Party 2/11
My Favourite block


Dragonfly Party 2/7


Dragonfly Party 2/6


Dragonfly Party 2/9



Dragonfly Party 2/18



Dragonfly Party 2/19


Dragonfly Party 2/20


Dragonfly Party 2/7

Dragonfly Party 2/17



Dragonfly Party 2/21



Looks wonderful in this room....there's just one problem, Lynette wants me to send it back?????

48 comments:

  1. My gosh, it is absolutely beautiful. Your quilting is perfect and I would have a difficult time choosing a favorite block. Simply outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You turned a really nice quilt into a work of art. Just gorgeous quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay...girlie...take a bow...it's stunning...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay your quilting on Lynette's quilt is outstanding! I love the back just as much as the front. Lynette is going to be so thrilled with it....if she gets it back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kay, this is just gorgeous. You've done a wonderful job with the quilting. No need to be worried about living up to Judy at Green Fairy. You've done yourself proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My Gosh!!!! Kay, this is beautiful! I knew you would not let me down. :) Yes, I do want you to send it back!! ;D That one block was always my favorite, too. I'm so tickled that both you and Judi have transformed the couple of blocks that I felt rather bleh about into absolute beauties. I really love the combination of feathers and modern motifs in this. I can't believe you freehand all this with just rulers. (Thanks for showing us the specific ones you use.) This is just absolutely gorgeous, front and back. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU. :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done a spectacular job of the quilting - well worth the double-batt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOOhhh my, my, my!!! this is absolutely beautiful! your quilting is extraordinary! I love that you posted several pictures, because this is the type of quilt and quilting that I just can't get enough of! Could I ask..how many hours did this take to quilt? (As a newbie longarmer I'm curious)Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my heart! So so gorgeous. Perfection

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very feminine, soft but striking also, instead of sending it back you could post it to me!
    I have wondered about trying 2 layers of batting, I should try it some day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kay, your quilting is just beautiful! and those 1/4" sashings - wow! You and Lynette make a great team.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning quiltingon a beautiful quilt. Fantastic work, as always Kay. I'm sure Lynette will be over the moon with it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing all these wonderful pictures of the beautiful quilt and the quilting which is adorable.
    I love looking at every picture!
    Greetings from Germany
    Saskia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning Kay, I would be reluctant to send it back too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kay, you have done an absolutely fantastic job on this quilt. You are every bit as good as Judy. I read both your blogs and as I study yours and Judy's quilting I am, in turn, inspired and in awe of both of you! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kay, I echo all the posts above. The quilt is beautiful, and your quilting is simply amazing. You have so much talent, please can a little of it rub off on me :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm speechless and believe me, that says a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely stunning Kay--breathtaking, one of the most gorgeous jobs of quilting I've seen!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Exquisite work, Kay! Every photo was more beautiful than the next!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Kay.......you took my breath away with this one!
    Keep at it, your work is gorgeous.
    LuAnn in Oregon
    luannkessi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am just amazed at your talent, the precise execution of your designs, it's truly spectacular. What beautiful work done by both you and Lynette! Now, Kay, step away from the quilt. You have to send it back! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. No doubt worth the wait! It is gorgeous!!! I'll bet this one took a long time to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Furthermore, while Judy's quilting on this quilt is very interesting and lovely, and will make a very interesting sibling to yours, I absolutely love the feathers and curves in the one you have done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow! Superb work by both the patch-worker and the quilter! Congratulations to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! This quilt is absolutely stunning! The piecing is fantastic! I love the design and colors used! Your quilting pushes this quilt from wow to WHOA! You did a stunning job in making the all over design jump out at you! I LOVE your quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG, just found your blog, became a "FOLLOWER" and will try to visit often. Your work is outstanding!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's so lovely, Kay. Can't wait to hear the whole tale.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, you lucky girl to get a quilt like that to do! You did a fabulous job, just absolutely gorgeous! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW!! Beutiful Job... you must be so PROUD and of course the owner of the quilt will be just thrilled... I know it. Awesome sums it up nicely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, *I* can see why she'd send it all the way to you - it was beautiful to start, but now it's just jaw-dropping amazing & gorgeous! It does look great where it is, but I know why she wants it back, too! wow, I'm glad it's not coming to South Texas, 'cuz I'd surely keep it!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have seen both yours and Judi's and I have to say they are both wonderful, beautiful works of art! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It is beautiful! I love how you quilted it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Stunning, then you never disappoint......much like Judy Marsden, both so different but the same.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is so spectacular, Kay. I found your blog from the link Judi Madsen provided in her post about the "twin" that she quilted. You both did such beautiful work, and it's a treat to see the same top quilted differently by two master quilters. The story behind these quilts is so sad, and your beautiful quilting is perfect for what I'm sure will be a treasured family heirloom for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I agree with Rebecca! You did a beautiful quilting job!

    ReplyDelete
  36. speechless...such an incredible quilt. its artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, incredible! Came from Judi's blog -and both quilts are absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  38. It is beautiful. The story behind the quilt makes me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Such a beautiful quilt! And you did a super job of quilting it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thanks for dropping by, I appreciate your visit and comments.....