Thursday 19 September 2013

Not so lonely Lone Star Quilt

It was a real pleasure to hand back this quilt to my customer Liz, she loved it, it was lovely to see it written all over her face.

Liz said she liked feathers but really left the rest up to me. That's good for me as I get to quilt as I like but then there comes a point when you wonder if your customer will like your decisions?

This quilt is a lovely mix of oriental type fabrics with a deep rust red border to match the bedroom decor.

The quilt measures 96" x 87" and came with Quilters Dream cotton wadding to which I added a thin layer of Soft and Elegant which is 80/20.

I used cream Metro thread in the needle and bobbin in all but the red areas where I used a deep rust glide thread. All freemotion hand guided by me with a little ruler work for the feather spines......












I think this is the biggest feathered wreath to date 25 inches in diameter, freemotion handguided....


We tried the quilt on my hanging frame, it hung perfectly....


And it looks perfect in the room it was made for.....thank you Liz.....

Update... This quilt went on to win
'Highly Commended' at Festival of Quilts 2014, Birmingham, UK
Best in Show, Best Bed Quilt, and Best Longarm, at The Great Northern Quilt Show 2014, Harrogate, UK
Best Longarm, Scottish Quilt Championships 2014
Exhibited at Sitges in Spain March 2015

26 comments:

  1. WOW...AWESOME, Missy...I recon Liz will be absolutely over the moon...It is beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful!!! Lovely colours, lovely design, and stunning quilting. Thankyou for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another stunning job. Just beautiful. Congratulations to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning, Kay! Absolutely beautiful! Can I ask how you mark your tops? I have been very hesitant to use marking tools and am starting to think maybe I shouldn't be so nervous about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Kay...I'm speechless. This is over the top. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely stunning Kay--I want to quilt like you someday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG!! HOW BEAUTIFUL! You are an inspiration! Not surprised that Liz had a big smile when she left! Jaw-dropping gorgeous quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely gorgeous! It would be hard to give it back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is drop dead gorgeous Kay! I think I'd have that quilt upside down at least 50% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! That is just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing...you're so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my heart! HOW is that quilting even possible! Stunning

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is stunning! Your quilting was perfect and perfectly beautiful. ohsirius7@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all the feathers. I haven't heard of soft and elegant so I will have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just jaw dropping beautiful quilting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kay... You make me want to live in Scotland! What more could you ask for? Beautiful countryside, ponies, and the best quilter around! Congratulations on yet another beautiful piece. And Kudos to Liz as well - she did a fantastic job with colors and piecing! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely Breath-taking!!! You should be so PROUD. I bet the owner LOVED it. WOW is all I can say.......... :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!!! I can see why your customer was impressed with this quilt when she saw it....... It's magnificent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, my!!! That is absolutely breathtaking. OH. I see Linda just said that. But it's true! Kay, you really outdid yourself on this. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW WOW WOW WOW fantasticablemuches

    So amazing. GREAT job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, this is amazing ...... beautiful things around you, very handy :-)
    I looked at you very much :-))
    Ajka

    ReplyDelete
  21. Потрясающей красоты работа. Очень нравится

    ReplyDelete
  22. Elenava said....The stunning beauty of the work. love it,

    Thank you Elenava

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG! This is just amazing. I am working on a lone star for myself. And I will for sure be using this for inspiration on the quilting. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely job of quilting you did! It changes the room from a simple bedroom to a coveted Bed and Breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thanks for dropping by, I appreciate your visit and comments.....