Saturday 9 April 2016

A Future Irish Heirloom..


I don't usually show photos of quilts until they are safely back in the hands of their owners, this one arrived back home this last week. Angela sent me this wonderful quilt top in the post from Dublin, Ireland. As you will no doubt see from the inscription, this top was three years in the making. This quilt is the first of four, for four daughters who were all married within ten months of each other. It has been a labour of love with love in every stitch from a Mother to her Daughter and her new Husband on their wedding day. I am told there will be a few embroidery stitches added before binding, who knows maybe it will be finished for the third wedding anniversary. This will be a true family heirloom I'm sure.

This is Angela's own original design with piecing, Broderie Perse and applique in reproduction and civil war fabrics. I used a Quilters Apothecary straight edge ruler by Jamie Wallen and two curved longarm rulers by my good friend Linda Hrcka of The Quilted Pineapple, Superior Monopoly invisible thread and a selection of coloured threads by Glide and Metro. The size is 84" x 77"ish and I used two layers of wadding (Simply Cotton 100% and Hobbs 80/20), the two layers of wadding helped to ease in a bit fullness.

Thank you Angela for choosing me to add a few of my own touches to your families special quilt, the photos say it all.

























11 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning! The pebble background fill is so time consuming and exhausting to achieve but so worth it. And this quilt maker is making another 3 of this calibre?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that quilt is gorgeous and you have done a wonderful job on the quilting..........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Восхитительно! Браво!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just spectacular, I sincerely hope they use this gorgeous labor of love and not hide it away because "it is too nice to use".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it may turn into a wall hanging Carole, thanks for visiting.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing quilting and piecing. what a beautiful quilt. Something for future generations to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a magnificent Quilt and your quilting designs Kay adds so much interest and details! Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thanks for dropping by, I appreciate your visit and comments.....